Living in such a fast-paced world, it’s sometimes hard to imagine how far we’ve come in such a small amount of time, or how much our world has changed. As we come into the year of 2016, let’s look at some interesting bits of information from twenty years ago, in 1996:
- The last American Summer Olympic Games were held in Atlanta, GA.
- Two PhD scholars begun a research project that would eventually be known as Google.
- A group of seven companies produced the world’s first Universal Serial Bus, otherwise known as a USB Drive or Thumb Drive.2
- The average cost of a home was around $118,200.
- The average cost of a gallon of gas was $1.22.3
- Dolly, the first cloned sheep, was born.3
- Tuition for a public four-year college reached an average of $2,996.
- The world population was 5.8 billion (it is now 7.3 billion).
- The number one hit song in America was the Macarena by Los Del Rio.
Looking forward into the New Year, one can only imagine the new things we’ll discover, and the new world we’ll be living in. Perhaps in 2036 we’ll be looking back to today and wondering how we ever lived in that world!
TMS wishes you and yours a happy and safe New Year!